At Caldera Spas, we often discuss the advantages of water immersion and circuit therapy in a Caldera hot tub. Regular hot tubbing, along with consuming the proper amount of water, will keep you feeling healthy and energized. Typically, people assume “8 glasses of water a day keeps the doctor away,” but don’t be so sure. According to the Institute of Medicine, women require 2.7 liters – about 11 cups of pure water, on a normal daily basis, and men require about 3.7 liters – about 15 cups of water daily. To ensure you are drinking enough water, always keep some on hand. Read on for five reasons why drinking more water daily is an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Get your glass and indulge in some H20.
- Avoid dehydration. According to Shape Fit, a “2 percent loss in water weight can negatively affect athletic performance, cause fatigue and weakness, and impact your ability to think clearly.” If you are feeling sleepy or are unable to concentrate, a glass of water will help! True dehydration causes headache, fatigue, weakness, dizziness, and even unconsciousness in severe cases.
- Manage weight. Water can help reduce your appetite and increase metabolism. Advanced Physical Medicine cited a study which found that those who drank 2 glasses of water before a meal lost 5 more pounds (on average) over a 12 week span than those who did not. This can be attributed to the metabolic kickstart that drinking water before a meal provides.
- Better heart. Sometimes known as the magic elixir, water could lower your risk of a heart attack. A study published by the American Journal of Epidemiology found that those who drank more than 5 glasses of water a day were 41 percent less likely to die from a heart attack during the same period than people who drank less than 2. Additionally, researchers from Loma Linda University revealed that drinking 5 cups of water a day is linked to reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Glowing skin. Water provides benefits for your body’s biggest organ – the skin. Water helps to moisturize skin, increase its elasticity, and replenish skin cells and tissues. Maintaining proper hydration can lead to healthier, glowing skin.
- Endurance. Drinking water helps lubricate joints in the body, which prevents muscle cramping and reduces joint pain. Whether you’re playing outside with children, or tackling your first 5k, staying hydrated will help you stay active longer. The best feeling after exercising? A 20-minute soak in a hot tub!