There’s so much that we depend on just to get through the course of a day. We rely on our cars or public transit systems to take us where we need to go, and we count on our kitchen, laundry, fitness, and other appliances to make our lives easier, keep us healthy, and entertain us. We also depend on home systems, such as heaters and air conditioners for comfort. Our reliance on these things means that we don’t spend time worrying about them each day. In other words, our lifestyles greatly depend on investing in items that are reliable. So, when it comes to making a large investment like a new or used hot tub, reliability is not something to be ignored—or to be taken for granted.
What Makes a Hot Tub Reliable?
A high-quality, well-maintained hot tub will last for a decade or more. But to find the most reliable, you’ll need to focus on design, materials, and the warranty and service plans offered by spa retailers.
Durable Hot Tub Designs
Hot tubs are high-functioning systems that take years to engineer. A combination of precision engineering, excellence in design, and a deep knowledge of manufacturing goes into each spa. The best quality hot tubs include efficient pumps that are carefully designed and selected for each model, jets that are designed and placed for comfort and enjoyment, and delicately wired electrical systems. Trusted manufacturers fashion water care systems and filters for efficiency and longevity. Companies that manufacture durable hot tubs put thought not only into the mechanical systems, but also into the performance and styling details of every model.
Quality Hot Tub Materials
Quality materials are the cornerstone of spa reliability. Hot tubs are built to function for extended periods of time and withstand all weather conditions.
Durable spas feature reinforced, acrylic interior shells and exterior cabinetry made of weather-resistant materials. Top-of-the-line spas, such as those from Caldera®, include FiberCor® insulation, which has four times the density of the urethane foam used in most other hot tubs. It fills all the gaps in spa compartments for better insulating efficiency.
The only way to ensure a hot tub can stand up to inescapable wear and tear is to engineer it with durability in mind.
Consistent Service Plans and Local Dealer Support
Like any sophisticated mechanical device, a hot tub requires regular maintenance, including water treatment and cleaning, and, from time to time, a higher level of service or repair. Reputable dealers cover all spa components with a manufacturer’s warranty and typically offer service plans to ensure that your spa will always perform properly.
Issues that can arise over a lifetime of use include scratches on the spa shell or exterior cabinet, and pump or electrical problems. It’s often not difficult to troubleshoot issues and make your own repairs, but the easiest way to deal with problems is to allow your dealer to handle fixes. The best dealers are experts, who have the technical knowledge and training to resolve any issue that may arise. Many dealers are also able to routinely perform inspections and preventative maintenance on your home spa. Having access to this kind of support and customer care from a local dealer is important in providing you with the best ongoing experience. That’s why we recommend that you buy from a hot tub dealer with a local store in your market.
10 of the Most Reliable Hot Tub Manufacturers
As a leader in the spa industry for 40 years, Caldera is very familiar with quality hot tub brands. For your convenience, here are 10 of the most reliable hot tub manufacturers (in alphabetical order), along with information we’ve gathered from their websites, in their own words.*
- Arctic Spas®. Founded in 1994, Arctic Spas® is known for engineering cold weather hot tubs designed to withstand the harsh Canadian climates. The spas are built in a small prairie town outside Edmonton. Arctic Spas hot tubs are designed to fit with the rugged surroundings and feature natural elements like their luxurious western red cedar cabinet. The spas are energy-efficient and their patented FreeHeat insulation helps keep operating costs low.
- Artesian Spas™. Artesian Spas’™ founding partners came together with one uniting goal: to provide the best quality spas, the most features, and the greatest range of products. With over 100 years of combined spa manufacturing experience, they worked together to create Artesian Spas™. When you buy an Artesian spa, you become part of the family, provided with the same quality service and support the company is world renowned for.
- BullFrog Spas®. Bullfrog Spas® manufactures durable hot tubs using the 100% wood-free EnduraFrame™ support structure. This structure is precision engineered and formed with no cutting of wood 2x4s or 2x2s. All human error is removed from the construction process and each Bullfrog spa fits together perfectly.
- Caldera® Spas. With four decades of experience designing and manufacturing home spas, the goal of Caldera has always been to create the best hot tubs backed by a comprehensive warranty. Caldera focuses on making comfortable, energy-efficient, and high-performance spas with lasting reliability—so you can enjoy the full range of wellness benefits that a quality spa can offer. Each Caldera spa is designed and carefully constructed to bring extraordinary benefits that can help transform your life. A Caldera spa gives you access to warm-water massage therapy right at home, helping you feel renewed, even when you have only a few minutes to spare.
- Dimension One Spas® (D1). D1 is committed to the quality of your tub for life. That’s why our patented UltraLife™ shell carries a lifetime warranty against cracks, leaks, fading or other wear from environmental exposure. Our patented Envirotect skirting, built from durable, all-weather material including recycled milk jugs, also carries a lifetime warranty. It requires no waterproofing or staining and will look as new as the day you bought it for years to come.
- Hot Spring® Spas. A spa provides the powerful combination of jet massage and hot water. We strive to do these things better with one-of-a-kind massage, innovative water care systems, and features that keep operating costs low. Plus, you can count on our decades of experience and unparalleled customer care for the Absolute Best Hot Tub Ownership Experience®.
- Jacuzzi® Spas. Jacuzzi® hot tubs are designed for reliability. Every part you see—and even those you don’t—is exceptionally engineered with the best materials to ensure a superior product. With more than 250 quality checks and outstanding inspection standards, Jacuzzi® hot tubs have a reputation for dependability.
- Marquis® Spas. Marquis® offers creative and innovative designs that provide you the ultimate soaking experience, cost less to operate, and require the least amount of maintenance. Our spas are designed with cutting-edge features for your supreme comfort and long-lasting enjoyment. We are proud to craft a spa designed to enhance your life.
- Nordic Hot Tubs®. Since 1995, Nordic Hot Tubs® has been a leader in providing high quality, therapeutic hot tubs. A Nordic hot tub is the perfect balance of hydrotherapy at a cost-effective price. Easy to install, hand-crafted from the finest materials, and stylishly designed, a Nordic hot tub is the perfect combination of quality and affordability.
- Sundance® Spas. Backed by experience, reliability, and the best dealer network we give you the confidence that your spa has everything you need and nothing you don’t. Sundance® shines in the quality of our products, so you can experience ultimate relaxation.
*We have not verified the accuracy of this information. Manufacturers change their processes from time to time, so please check with them to verify.
Investing in a hot tub is just the beginning of a wonderful, long-lasting relationship. Knowing that you can rely on your home spa to help ease stress and refresh tired muscles will bring you tranquility and peace of mind. Finding a reliable spa isn’t difficult once you know exactly what to look for in design, materials, and service plan options. When you take the time to choose the perfect hot tub, you’ll be rewarded with years of contentment.