Winter chill and fatigue can be challenging enough without the added stress a common cold can cause. Cold symptoms can last a week or more, but there is one tactic you can use to feel better, and you won’t find it in your medicine cabinet: Soaking in your home hot tub could offer the relief you need.
Of course, your hot tub can’t cure the common cold—nothing can. What it can do is provide you with temporary relief from several of your symptoms, which can help you rest and recover. Soaking for 20 minutes per session in warm, soothing water a few times a day could be just the thing to make your cold symptoms more manageable.
Challenging the Common Cold with Hot Tub Therapy
Imagine yourself relaxing in your home spa, resting in a comfortable ergonomic seat, the water soothing you with soft warmth while the jets massage your sore joints and muscles with gentle pressure. While you’re relaxing in the comforting waters, there’s nothing else for you to do. Just rest and let yourself feel a little bit better.
When you’re suffering from a common cold, your hot tub can be a much-needed part of your recovery effort. While you should always limit your soak time to 20 minutes, you can return to the tub a few times throughout the day, alternating between rest and a restorative session in your spa whenever your cold symptoms are in need of relief.
If you’re fighting off an illness, you owe it to your hard-working body to take some time to relax. Soaking in your hot tub may give you temporary relief from the following cold symptoms:
- Congestion. Medical studies have shown that inhaled steam causes mucus to drain more effectively, causing temporary relief. Relaxing in a hot tub and inhaling the warm, humid air can unclog your sinuses, temporarily alleviating discomfort and allowing you to breathe easier.
- Body aches. Regular doses of hydrotherapy have been medically shown to temporarily alleviate body aches and pains.
- Sleep disruptions. A soak in hot water before sleep is medically proven to improve the quality of sleep. When you’re feeling under the weather, a good night of solid rest can be a rare and precious commodity. Sleeping deeply and well can give your body much-needed time to recover from your cold.
General Tips for Fighting a Cold
When you have a cold, all you want to do is shorten the duration and lessen the severity of symptoms. The following tips can help you do just that:
- Stay hydrated. Herbal tea with honey and lemon is a good choice for a throat-soothing beverage.
- Clear your schedule and give yourself time to heal. Attempting to maintain your usual level of activity while you’re under the weather is only likely to prolong the time it takes to get well.
- Remove sources of stress. Alternate between 20-minute hot tub soaks and deep relaxation. Listening to some soothing music can help you unwind.
- Get plenty of sleep. Use your hot tub just before bedtime to help you fall asleep easier.
How Can a Hot Tub Boost Your Immunity?
Even when you’re cold-free, your hot tub can help promote general wellness and a healthy immune system. High stress levels can weaken your immune system, making you more prone to contracting illnesses like the common cold. Hot tub therapy encourages relaxation for your body and mind and has been medically linked to increases in physical and emotional well-being. Regular sessions in your hot tub, in combination with other healthy lifestyle choices such as eating a balanced diet and getting plenty of exercise, might help you maintain a healthy immune system, which could help your body fight off an attack from cold-bearing germs.
Your Hot Tub Is a Resource for Health and Well-Being
You don’t want to have to fuss to ready your spa for a soak when you’re feeling under the weather. Visit your local showroom to find a low-maintenance and reliable hot tub that will always be ready for use. A hot tub could give your body a leg up in the fight against the common cold, and help your immune system resist cold bugs in the future.
For a broader look at the benefits of hot tub therapy, check out our wellness blog. Caldera Spas® is committed to wellness for every hot tub owner. Your home spa dealer has the tools to help you find your perfect match. You can download a brochure or request a price quote right now.